Song Breakdowns

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Me by the 1975 (break down/personal meaning)

Me

Well, i want to talk about my favourite song with you. Its a song called "me" by the indie rock band the 1975.

The first thing you need to know is that this break down of the song is my personal opinion. This song could have been written out of so perspectives and every one somehow finds his own interpretation.

Here is the link to the song Me by the 1975

My Opinion

I think the song is written out of the perspective of a special part of Matt (lead singer). Something like a bad side. His bad side admitting, what he has done. (i put your mother through hell, i hurt your brother as well...i was thinking about killing myself...i did something terrible to your body...etc) admitting what he has done to Matt through drugs, alcohol and depression. At the same time that part of him says 'I am not sorry' or 'i am going to keep doing it', through the multiple repeat of the words "dont you mind" in every verse. So basically himself telling himself what he has done but also that he is not able to shake the bad side off, because it now has the control. The "dont you mind" seems quite provocative, telling him something like 'you cant change it anyways, its on me now'.


1. I got a plane in the middle of the night, dont you mind
-Probably talks about him taking drugs in the middle of the night (plane=getting high)

2. I nearly killed sombody, dont you mind, dont you mind
-His violent side, hurting people again and again, or him saying he nearly killed himself (through drugs or alcohol)

3. I gave you something you can never give back, dont you mind
- that part of him took his innocence and health

4. youve seen your face like a heart attack, dont you mind
-looking in the mirror and seeing what he has done to him (drugs, etc..) and being shocked about what he has done to him

5. I was late but i arrived
-That part of him came after a few years. started ruining his life

6. I am sorry but i would rather be getting high than watching my family die
-Him not wanting to have anything to do with his mothers divorce and her depressions, his family problems in general. so he is trying to hide through drugs

7. Exaggerate and you and I
-that "bad" part of him takes the control and exaggerates everything.

8. Oh I think I did something terrible to your body, don't you mind
-drugs, alcohol, depression

9.  I put your mother through hell, don't you mind
I hurt your brother as well, don't you mind don't you mind
-him hurting his family and friends through his addiction and depression

10.  Oh I was thinking about killing myself, don't you mind
-Him thinking about taking his life after everything that happened

11.  I love you, don't you mind don't you mind
-he sings the "i love you" really quietely, almost like noone should hear it. Him telling himself that he still cares about himself and loves himself, but he is not ready do say that admission as loud as the once before

So this was my personal break down for "Me" by the1975. This song means so much to me and its actually the most emotional song i have ever heard. I would really recommend listening to it.

Thankyou for reading. Have a nice day :)

Instagram: random_bloggger
twitter: random_bloggger

6 comments:

  1. It's a great explanation, thank you sooooo much. I didn't get that he was singing to himself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could be speaking from he's dads perspective, them having a conversation about the family break up and apologising for the hurt hes caused to hes sons and ex wife

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you are right on in this analysis

    ReplyDelete
  4. i see the “i put your mother through hell” and “i hurt your brother as well” part as a conversation him and his father, tim, were having about the divorce. the song, i believe, is him reflecting on his actions and his father too which makes it so special. the line “i was late but i arrived” means so much to me as i see it as him saying to his family it may not look like i care (he’s late) but i care so much even if i don’t know how to show it (he arrived). i love your interpretation though. it’s amazing how a song can mean so many different things to so many different people

    ReplyDelete
  5. i see the “i put your mother through hell” and “i hurt your brother as well” part as a conversation him and his father, tim, were having about the divorce. the song, i believe, is him reflecting on his actions and his father too which makes it so special. the line “i was late but i arrived” means so much to me as i see it as him saying to his family it may not look like i care (he’s late) but i care so much even if i don’t know how to show it (he arrived). i love your interpretation though. it’s amazing how a song can mean so many different things to so many different people

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot on, I came to the same conclusion . It took a few listens, but when i finally realized it was him singing to his younger, innocent self, it brought me to tears.
    As a recovering addict, this song hits too close to home, and means more to me than i could put into words...

    ReplyDelete